Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 27458 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Re: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread
« Reply #345 on: July 16, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
All right, Nacho. Give us the big analysis on the new Doctor.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »
Mainly just thrilled it's not Kris Marshall. But, yes.. Thoughts coming soon. Stuck on my phone here at work...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
So I was initially opposed to the idea of a female Doctor. It did seem like wrong-headed PC-ness on the part of the Beeb which has, in the last couple of seasons, been trying too hard with wrong-headed PC-ness. Bill’s LGBT angle was so heavy-handed and unnecessary. A badge of honor for the Beeb without any understanding or sensitivity behind it.

But then Tilda Swinton’s name was rumored to be in the mix and I thought, my god, yes! She’d be perfect! The show has also been planting the seed for a couple years now. Michelle Gomez has so perfectly delivered the Master’s gender-change that it almost felt weird to have a male Master show up in the finale. In what is probably just an accident, the show handled such a gender change in the best way – the Master felt like it. Tra-la-la.

Colin Baker’s wonderful Guardian article says it all.

What helped put all this in focus for me: When Kris Marshall emerged as the front runner, I was worried. He would have been the “safe” pick – and I would have been insulted by that pick. Another white male hamming it up on screen. There’s been a cookie cutter aspect to all of the NuWho Doctors, even when they’ve bene amazing actors who tried to make the show their own. We’ve seen each of them fall for or become deeply affectionate towards their companions in a weirdly inappropriate way and we’ve seen them struggle with being “lonely gods.”

It’s the former problem, which even got lip service between Capaldi and Bill, that has really rubbed me the wrong way since 2005. The Doctor is a thousand (now two thousand) year old alien. I realized, with all the hubbub about a female Doctor, that I, as a fan, never saw the Doctor as a man (or cared about his gender, rather). The First was a grandfather, the Second was a childlike clown, the Third was aloof and patronizing, the Fourth was alien and mercurial, the Fifith was a grandfather again trapped in a young man’s body, the Sixth was insane after an unstable regeneration, the Seventh started the ancient one/lonely god motif, we had no time to get the know the Eighth, and then we stormed into NuWho.

So why not be daring? And something NuWho has never been is daring… But it needs to be in 2017. The show has struggled for so long to reconcile itself with its long history in a way that’s sort of hobbled it. It alternates between wanting to be different (such as putting the Companions in the driver seat) and paying such deep track fan service that only a narrow niche of the audience will appreciate it.

This is a show that completely renews itself every few years but, during the NuWho years, it’s kind of failed to do that. Even in-show dialogue during the 50th Special sort of put the lampshade on the similarities between the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, and Capaldi, despite trying to make it his own, is really just a grey-haired hybrid of Ten and Eleven. The show needed a new breath, and that was only going to come with a very different Doctor (I was also hoping for a minority).

On the human side of things, with the Companions, the dynamic is going to change quite a bit. And since that’s the part of NuWho I have the most trouble with, I look forward to it.

But when it comes to battling robots and monsters, a woman can get herself locked out of the TARDIS and stuck in the middle of a zany adventure just as well as any man!

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #348 on: July 24, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
Christmas Special trailer from Comic-Con.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
The good: It's not a BS Christmas episode

The Bad: Stop bringing back dead companions!!! Jesus. Either kill them or don't but stop killing them and then giving them a magical out. That's now happened with the last three companions!

The Awesome: David Bradley as the First Doctor. The potential that we'll get a reenacted fourth episode of the Tenth Planet (or portions of it). The episode is currently missing.

I'm going to say it: The best way to reboot this show is to have David Bradley and other lookalikes remake the missing episodes 2017 style!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #350 on: November 09, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Oh, right. We're going to have to adjust to Doctor Who dictating women's fashion...

Thirteen's costume has been revealed. Also revealed is her new TARDIS. The TARDIS exterior has aped the 60's TARDIS since 2010, but now it's reverted to the 70's-80's version. (Whittaker's outfit also calls back to the Fifth and Sixth Doctors, with just a touch of the Fourth Doctor.)

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #351 on: November 09, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »
This looks great, but it's still Moffet for one more season, yes?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
This looks great, but it's still Moffet for one more season, yes?

Nope. He's gone after Christmas.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »
A sneak peek of the Christmas special this Friday!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
Yeah. This might be awesome.