Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 28066 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34 & 35: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
I just...I just... I want this. And it's so simple, and so powerful, and it doesn't have to be 1963. It can be 2015.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
I love the Beeb's response to all the rumors that the show is tanking and soon to be cancelled -- they just renewed it through 2020.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »
So the whole "sequel to Day of the Doctor" was not as offensive as I thought it would be. Clara spent most of the episode asleep, or a Zygon. Capaldi delivered a tearful and powerful monologue. The resolution was fun.

The ratings remain in the toilet, though. So I have this terrible feeling that we're going to see some awesome episode here that no one will watch and then they'll ditch Capaldi for a 25 year old black American woman or something. Because NuWho's audience is evil.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2015, 11:10:49 AM »
Man, but I see the break in fandom so very clearly. AV Club raves about the episode, yet io9 skewers it with ruthless bitterness... Both of them cite the same reasons for loving it or hating it, just through different colored glasses. This divisiveness has marked the whole season. It's fascinating.

Though I really am happy as long as Kate Stewart gets to say "Five rounds rapid!" The fans all need to calm down.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #259 on: November 11, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
The war speech is really making the rounds... And, man, it was a powerful moment in a powerful episode. Capaldi -- the Doctor no one is watching -- is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. The last three Doctors have been struggling with the Time War, and Capaldi's the first actor on the show who could actually do well portraying that trauma and pain.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #260 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »
There's been a lot written about Capaldi's punk rock roots, and they are so apparent in this speech. A lesser actor or an actor who had never walked on the outskirts of the cultural social order could have ruined that speech, no matter how well written it is.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #261 on: November 11, 2015, 08:41:06 PM »
There's been a lot written about Capaldi's punk rock roots, and they are so apparent in this speech. A lesser actor or an actor who had never walked on the outskirts of the cultural social order could have ruined that speech, no matter how well written it is.

He's the best thing that happened to NuWho.

And the worst!

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
The found footage, POV horror episode was pretty lame. It was more like they were impressed with themselves for mocking the found footage genre than anything else. Like they said: Let's mock the genre and we'll write the story as we film.

Sad.

We're rounding down towards finale country. Maisie the Hybrid, Clara's overly foreshadowed demise, and the return of Missy and Gallifrey (two things that, as usual, seem like they should be the driving series arc at this point and yet don't even get namechecked).

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #263 on: November 21, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
JLC's last uber-cute promo shot. She's rumored to have her swansong on tonight's episode, with Doctor-centric episodes ending out the season.

The preview is chilling:

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #264 on: November 21, 2015, 03:49:26 PM »
I don't think they'll kill her. She's been far too popular. They'll keep her alive and utilize her in the same way as River Song.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #265 on: November 21, 2015, 04:14:31 PM »
I don't think they'll kill her. She's been far too popular. They'll keep her alive and utilize her in the same way as River Song.

They killed Amy. And, according to Moffat, Clara's timeline hasn't changed. She was dead when she was introduced.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »
I got your text about Clara. Now that you've slept on it, what do you think?

And who the heck is the next companion?

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2015, 01:10:38 PM »
I got your text about Clara. Now that you've slept on it, what do you think?

And who the heck is the next companion?

Besides being thrilled that she's gone? I think they did a good job. They confused Maisie Williams and her role as the Hybrid, though. She's essentially been the Big Bad this season, and her strange promise to protect all of the Doctor's companions has fallen kind of flat. They just simply didn't explore it, explain it, or use it. So having her be upset that her carelessness has killed Clara fell flat.

There's still a bit of an out for Clara here since we know Missy can snatch people from the moment of death (and she's back for the finale, and has a soft spot for Clara). But they took some pains to make it final.

This was her last filmed scene for the show (she's already started filming Queen Vic), but rumor is that this isn't the last time we see her in the series. She still has to come full circle to when we first met her (when she actually died).

The next episode is a Doctor-only episode (and, curiously, he's on a different TARDIS bridge than his TARDIS in the preview), and the finale is being closely guarded.

For the new companion, rumor is we won't meet her (or him) till Christmas. The rumor du jour is also that it'll be River Song (who is in the Christmas special). Though Utopia's Alexandra Roach is now in the running as well.

All the talk about River has me leaning in that direction. Moffatt's been going on about how she doesn't know this Doctor, so she'll become a sort of tagalong Time Lady like Romana I. But all that may be Moff-misdirection.

Moffatt has also said that the new companion is "going to change the tone of the show." So that could be River (who would be a strong, forceful character to pair with a strong, forceful Doctor), or it could be Maisie Williams (who's slightly evil at this point, but may also be working with the Time Lords), or it could just be a man (which we haven't yet done in NuWho with the exception of a few secondary tag along companions like Mickey and Rory).

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #268 on: November 30, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Jackson made a short to announce he's making a full on episode:

http://io9.com/peter-jackson-filmed-a-mini-episode-of-doctor-who-to-an-1745236628

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #269 on: November 30, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »
Jackson's best work in fifteen years!