Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 28066 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34 & 35: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Looks like JLC is out this season. It will be nice to put an end to The Clara Show and concentrate on Capaldi.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
The two minute "prologue" (to the half hour "prologue" airing tonight) brings back the Sisterhood of Karn. Their return pretty much confirms that we'll be getting Gallifrey at the end of all this...and that's the Seal of Rassilon he hands over to the Sisterhood (and that we keep seeing, albeit incomplete, in the trailers).

With JLC leaving by the finale, I have a good feeling about this season. Capaldi seems to have found his groove, The Clara Show is ending, and the Time Lords are coming back (which will end the whole "The Doctor is a Lonely God" BS). It might also mean, eventually, a return to the idea that the Doctor is a fugitive and technically on the run from the Time Lords. I hope so.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »
For RC:

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2015, 12:44:19 AM »
Wow! What a premiere! NuWho has worked 10 years to get to this point... This was the perfect premiere. A Doctor-heavy episode (Clara is hardly a part of it), and the first time NuWho has handled a Classic Series enemy the way he should be handled. Davros as the dying old man showing the Doctor's faults by revising the mistakes of Doctors 4-7. Just amazing. The 4th Doctor's fatal decision in Genesis of the Daleks gets major airtime, and every Dalek casing from the entire series is represented. The reconstruction of the Dalek City from the 1963 episode is perfect and exciting. Michelle Gomez fucking owns Missy. Horribly squandered last season, in this episode she makes the Master her own. There can never be another Master.

The episode demands that you've watched the show. All of the show, for 52 years. But it doesn't demand it too much. It's willing to let you in if you're new to all this. Strangely well crafted, actually. You could get hooked if this was your first episode, and for every level of fandom the episode expertly delivers.

Capaldi sort of skated through last season, as well, as The Clara Show continued, so turning all the spotlights on him and letting Clara become the ordinary idiot companion was a breath of fresh air.

This is the first I've felt good about NuWho since the few, brave moments during Eccleston's season. 

Oh, and, RC, for those of us with a crush on Michelle Gomez. This is our episode. The script and camera simply make love to her.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
You never got stuff like this in the 80s.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2015, 07:30:08 AM »
I've been struggling with the second episode, part two of the premiere. It over-reached, it relied on the "regeneration energy" shtick, except in an even more frivolous way. The high point was Missy. Teaming her up with Clara was great, having her be the voice of the classic show and giving us glimpses of early Doctors during her stories seemed perfect... Of course the Master would be obsessed with the past.

As always, the Daleks were softballed...and this would have been a great episode if it really was an outro for Davros but, no, they have to keep him around, too. They have 50 years worth of classic enemies and have created a dozen new beloved recurring enemies...why not go ahead and kill one for good? Because that would have made this episode. That would have been something. And the dynamic between the Doctor and Davros was all about that happening in the final reel, then they decided to get silly.   

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
More for RC!

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »
Oh my god... Under the Lake was an amazing episode. Up there in the best of NuWho for sure, along with Blink, Dalek, Girl in the Fireplace...

We get ghosts, an underwater base, a touchy TARDIS, and a very Doctor heavy episode. It's creepy and awesome...and probably about as close as NuWho has ever gotten to classic Who. Well, since Impossible Planet/Satan Pit.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #249 on: October 04, 2015, 09:44:31 PM »
Missy?!

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
Parsing all the rumors about the possible demise of Doctor Who is a bit difficult... Though I'm so often conflicted by NuWho, I think Capaldi is the direction the show should have been taking and, so, it's a shame to see it suddenly under fire.

Or...is it?

Rumor #1: Viewership is catastrophically down

This is true. But the numbers being reported are incorrect. Once you factor in DVR's and on-demand views (which is how people are watching TV these days), the low numbers almost double. Factor in them doubling again with overseas viewers, especially BBC America (where it's no secret that British TV will soon migrate entirely to the US).

All that said, the numbers are still down... But that's also because the show has been up against some stiff competition and it's still trying to sort out Capaldi's Doctor.

Rumor #2: JLC is leaving under duress.

Well, no, she's leaving to become an even bigger star. This one's stupid.

Rumor #3: DW is getting "Sherlocked" in that it will have an off season that may just have a few TV-movie-style specials.

I don't know why this upsets s many people... Not only did the show do this during the 10th Doctor's run, but I think the show benefited from it. It would be a good thing if the show did a series of specials every other "season."

Rumor #4: Capaldi is leaving.

This has two levels. The first is that he's "heartbroken" about JLC leaving. Which is BS. The nature of the show is that companions leave and, in fact, the show has maintained a tradition of carrying a companion over as a link between regenerations since 1965, so JLC leaving is perfectly natural (and actually overdue).

The second level comes from his interview with Larry King where he talks extensively about the future of the BBC. The ongoing government antagonism against the BBC is a little scary. The Brits want to tear the corporation down (or, at least, stop subsidizing it) and would rather the Beeb go back to weather, news, and propaganda as needed and approved from on high.

While Capaldi intimated that the potential shake-up of an abbreviated or specials-only season may be linked to that, there was no talk about his job being on the line. (However, American audiences are complaining about his accent...)

Rumor #5: Moffatt wants to leave but no one wants to replace him

Even Moffatt laughs at this one. He says he'll leave when he's asked to leave, and notes that just about everyone is anxious to leap into his chair when he's gone. You can write your own ticket i the DW's showrunner.

That said, the show also has a long tradition of producers who wanted to kill it our of some deranged sort of spite...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
So Maisie Williams is not playing someone familiar. She plays an annoying incidental character designed to spotlight Clara (ugh, stop already) and she dies as a result of the Doctor's usual hubris. This time around, though, he has a magic pill that makes her immortal. So part two, next week, will advance us a thousand years in the future with the ageless Maisie Williams.

Odd that the Doctor never used this magic miracle cure on past companions. If he had this power all along, he could have saved Rose instead of sacrificing himself, and Donna, and Donna's grandfather, and Amy...And any of the other countless people who have died in his name -- the whole theme of last season!

Ah, well. This episode and the last have all been about how the Doctor is defying the rules and changing the timeline to suit him. It's this that led to the death of the Tenth Doctor, and is guaranteed to incur the wrath of the Time Lords (who have been forgotten by the scriptwriters once again).

We're back to the Lonely God bullshit, and I hate it. It's a waste of Capaldi, it's a waste of some very good storylines so far this season, and it's now to this weird meta level where the Doctor is addressing the camera directly and constantly breaking the fourth wall. Bizarre.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2015, 11:33:16 PM »
Oh! A Doctor-only episode! No Clara!

Of course, that was just to spotlight Maisie Williams, who was horrible. But, then, they're also shaping her up to be this season's Big Bad... Which may not be horrible.

Anyway, passable... Some good classic Who stylings.

Next week is the sequel to Day of the Doctor with UNIT and the Zygons.

*sigh*

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
This really is what the internet is for, by the way.