Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 28069 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »
There were so many times I rolled my eyes during Last Christmas that I'm now afraid I caused permanent damage.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
And Clara's back for another season!

Nacho? Stop loading the gun, Nacho.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
And Clara's back for another season!

Nacho? Stop loading the gun, Nacho.

Fuck, yes. It was so clumsily done, as well. We basically rebooted her, after spending 90 minutes dealing with her issues. She wakes up with no memory of having dealt with those issues and the Doctor does his now normal (as of NuWho) approach to getting companions -- actively soliciting them like a lonely old man preying on children. Clara decides to become the time traveler she always wanted to be and we're off!

I'm hoping this is a soft reboot of sorts and, in season nine, she'll just be a fucking normal girl and not Magical Clara, or The Impossible Girl, or Maybe She is A Time Lord, or whatever the fuck.

Jesus, though... I think the whole Christmas episode was all about getting Clara back on the team. And we HAAATE HER!! *bang*

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34 & 35: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
I love how all the spoilers these days are like -- here's a picture from the location shoot in (exotic place)!

For the first 26 years of this show, they went on location twice. Just imagine if we had the internet in 1980! "Check it out! Shots from the Doctor Who location shoot at the sad abandoned quarry outside Watford!"

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
I love that Michelle Gomez can't keep a secret...

So season 35 opens up with her, and it looks like she'll be another seasonal big bad.

Maybe this show has finally figured out how to use the Master, even though everyone has known how to use the Master since 1973.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
So Arya Stark is a guest star next season...and rumors say she's in line to replace JLC. Which would be impossible (unless Arya's soon to meet her demise in Game of Thrones) and would also probably start the geekgasm apocalypse.

Leaked photos show the seal of Rassilon with a wedge missing... Though the return of Gallifrey wouldn't be that much of a surprise (it's been the purpose of the show, whether they admit it or not, since Day of the Doctor).

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #201 on: April 07, 2015, 02:41:38 PM »
Making a huge deal of this "five more years of Doctor Who" thing is...mystifying.

I mean...of course! The show is a record breaking cash cow.

I guess it's surprising that the renewal was a five year renewal, but even that falls flat with a show that's technically entering it's 35th season. Five seems like a small number for DW!

What I WOULD like to come from this announcement is a plan for NuWho. The last ten years have felt ad hoc. The show's been trying to walk a thin line between the first 26 years where it was a show without a bible and the modern seasons where the audiences demand a narrative. Saying "I am just a madman in a blue box" doesn't work when you have these gigantic, sweeping, multi-season story arcs. You really can't have it both ways with Doctor Who -- either he's involved in the games of gods and men, or he's a madman in a blue box. It seems forgotten that even the classic series struggled with this, and largely adopted the tone that the new series would aim for in its final six years.

We still have multi-season stories on the table (such as finding Gallifrey), but this is a show that rapidly loses its way when it comes to storytelling. The stated purpose at the end of the 50th Anniversary year was finding Gallifrey, yet that only gets lip service for the entire 34th season, and it isn't even coy or tantalizing. It's used to bump Clara in one of the three times they heavy-handedly made it look like Clara was leaving. The Master seems more involved and concerned about Gallifrey than the Doctor, who is just coming off of saving Gallifrey, deciding his mission is to find them, and spending 500 years talking to Gallifrey via The Crack.

Capaldi's "dark Doctor" was so horribly mishandled in season 34 that I can't imagine where we'll go from there. Capaldi is still trying to find his level, and the return of Missy and all the usual Big Bads continues what has felt like franchise fatigue since the 9th Doctor.

What the show needs to do with a five year renewal is to spend a very short time saving Gallifrey, and then return to basics: The Doctor becomes an outlaw in a broken time machine and flits through stand-alone adventures. The Doctor is at his most mysterious and most engaging when he doesn't actually want to be a part of the adventure. This element of his personality has been shifted to his companions, which has resulted in the show being more about the companions than the Doctor. This decade-long study of "the effect that the Doctor has on his companions" is exhausting and insulting. It's not a new idea, either. The classic series handled it with a subtle grace, but the new series addresses it with something just short of exhaustive psychotherapy session transcripts.

And we don't care. Unlike the old series, the new series doesn't force the adventure on the companions. Everyone chooses to join the adventure, and then we spent endless time discussing how doing so ruins your life and changes you forever. So what is NuWho's point here? Free will is wrong? Seeking adventure is a mistake? A dangerous lesson for the generations of children the series is pitched towards.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2015, 11:01:03 AM »
Oh, clumsy clumsy. Fan favorite Osgood was killed by Missy last season...but now she's back in a two parter dedicated to explaining how she's coming back! With the Zygons, and talk about how it's set during/right after events in Day of the Doctor.

Shame, shame, shame... Can we not get plain old space adventures, guys? Do we have to have episodes set within episodes and constant meta freakouts? What happened to the sense of wonder and exploration? Everywhere the new Doctors go they've either been there before, knew they were going there and have a plan, or have a god-like ability to size up and solve the problem.

"All of time and space" is surprisingly small in NuWho.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »
NuWHo problems and Nu Star Trek problems are strikingly similar.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
NuWHo problems and Nu Star Trek problems are strikingly similar.

Nu-Star Trek problems are the same problems that the franchise has had since Wrath of Khan -- it's a cerebral show that's trying to be an action-adventure show because the latter sells movies. Basically, at it's core, Star Trek's worst problem since the movie franchise took off is that it's a slow burn TV series that simply cannot translate to the silver screen.

The reboot era of Star Trek has crystallized the worst of the earlier movie franchise -- it's all light hearted comedy and space adventure now.

NuWho's problems are less the need to make it an action adventure and more the need to make the Doctor something other than the Doctor. These problems also extend back to it's final season and the first reboot, but it's a very different problem than Star Trek. After 25 seasons, the showrunners found themselves finally having to ask the question -- Who is Doctor Who?

This was terribly mishandled by making him The Other, and hinting at larger things. Something that carried into the movie, and then was adopted wholesale by NuWho. The core of the problem is the Doctor's motivations, and the effect his choices have on those around him. Something that didn't matter for a long time, but then they can't create a god and then admit that he's a fugitive from justice and not really in control of everything.

Probably, to put it more succinctly, Doctor Who's problem is that they tried to make it more complicated and post-TNG Star Treky and the center did not hold, whereas new Star Trek's problem is that they're trying to not make it Star Treky and, so, that center does not hold.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »

Probably, to put it more succinctly, Doctor Who's problem is that they tried to make it more complicated and post-TNG Star Treky and the center did not hold, whereas new Star Trek's problem is that they're trying to not make it Star Treky and, so, that center does not hold.

Ah-ha!

Quote from: Simon Pegg
They had a script for Star Trek that wasn’t really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
If you thought the TARDIS was finally safe from any kind of romance between the Doctor and his companion -- what with the arrival of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor -- think again. Or, at least, that’s what Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat seems to be saying.

Speaking recently at the BAFTA NY panel, Steven Moffat talked about the, erm, "sexual tensions" between the Doctor, and his companion Clara (Jenna Coleman): "We’re in a very different place with the Doctor and Clara in the modern series, it’s been a while since I’ve seen the early stages of the Twelfth Doctor trying to pretend he doesn’t fancy Clara – 'Oh you’re ugly! Disgusting!...Stop looking so good!'"

Adding: "In truth, in most cases with the Doctor he always loves them more than they love him. That’s his story. He’s always besotted with them even though he’s trying to pretend that he isn’t."

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
So when it comes to bringing back River Song, The Moff says:

"It entirely depends on whether we've got a good story. It's certainly not ruled out. I have a sort of worry about keeping anybody around in the Doctor's life for too long. Because he's the Man who Leaves. He's the man who outlives everybody: that's his story. In the end it's the boy in his box, and he's alone. In the end if we had a great story, we'd do it."

Strange words from the man who bends over backwards to keep EVERYONE ELSE in the Doctor's life as long as possible and keeps bringing them back even after they die.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Psst, Moff -- when you start disliking the show and regretting your decisions, you should probably step down as showrunner.

When Doctor Who came back in 2005, the show featured a tormented Doctor who was the last of his kind and the sole survivor of an unimaginable war that had ended with the Doctor committing double genocide. Should this have remained the show’s status quo?

Talking to Doctor Who Magazine, showrunner Steven Moffat says he still feels bad about the fact that his 50th anniversary special, “The Day of the Doctor,” changed the outcome of the Time War so that the Doctor no longer wiped out the Time Lords as well as the Daleks. (The Daleks, of course, came back in any case.) Moffat says:

The Day of the Doctor was a success. Record ratings, awards, rave reviews. By any measure, it did alright. But two years later, I’m still haunted by the guilt.

I know some of you, including friends of mine, were upset that we reversed the outcome of the Time War. My defence, however feeble, is that given the chance, the Doctor would do exactly that. And it was his birthday, how could I deny him that chance? What could define him more? This man who always finds another way? And there he is, at every moment of his life, proving to himself – literally – that there is always a better path.

Ah, well. My heart was in the right place, at least. But in this job you always need two!

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
So lots of talk about the new season. Kind of the same as last year (which didn't pan out) -- the "darker" Doctor. The Doctor potentially in the role of "the bad guy." A "complicated and very different" season.

This got me so excited leading up to Capaldi's first season, and it did, briefly, look like we were going to go down that path with the whole "Am I a good man" thing. But the season was mishandled and goofy.

Some little rumors have leaked out, though. The most interesting one is that the season opens with the Doctor killing a young Davros -- and so erasing the Daleks from history. That would result in the return of Gallifrey and the Doctor once again becoming a fugitive.

All very nice but, given that the contract with Nation's estate is unchanged (i.e., the Daleks must appear once a season or else the Beeb loses the rights to them), this is all probably just another red herring that'll get the big reset button at some point in the season.

Also possible, though, that the Doctor simply carries through with the mission he was assigned in his fourth incarnation to slow the development of the Daleks down.