Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 28069 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2014, 04:08:29 AM »
So... Phil Morris. The man who returned Enemy of the World and Web of fear and is at the heart of the "omnirumor" saying that there are more lost episodes in hand has gone crazy.

Slowly, a picture emerges... Morris had some sort of unknown behind the scenes issue when he returned those two episodes to the BBC in 2013. No doubt money related...

Lately, he's started to attack the show... Most recently in an alarming crazy-stroke-victim way:

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/09/14/phil-morris-continues-attack-doctor-claims-jimmy-savile-comes-mind/

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #151 on: September 25, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Time Heist...

I think they've gone a little too far towards the anti-season-arc end of the spectrum... Mainly because there IS a season arc! Missy and Paradise, and the whole fucking point of the last season and the 50th Anniversary -- find and save Gallifrey. With it very clearly stated that the Doctor's sole mission is to find Gallifrey, and Missy's apparent TARDIS-esque locale, it seems very odd that we're now approaching the halfway mark and he hasn't even mentioned Gallifrey. And, yet, the audience gets a clue and a nod in every episode except for Time Heist.

This also kind of pulls the teeth when Missy returns for the finale arc. The Doctor has, largely, ignored an otherwise over-the-top and alarming coincidence -- his first three adventures involved the bad guys being obsessed with "Paradise" as a physical destination.

The other huge mistake is that it's Clara's story. Still. The Doctor is almost in the role of a supporting cast member to the real star of the show -- Clara Oswald. That pays off, I suppose, if Clara turns out to be a Time Lady of some sort (the popular fan theory is that she's either Susan, Romana, or the Rani under the protection of a Chameleon Arch), but Capaldi is such a powerful presence... I'd rather we fully return to the classical Who days and have a barking mad Doctor roaming around aimlessly, like Tom Baker. Baker's companions always had to keep up with him, not vice versa. So far, the show's been about Clara trying to socialize the Doctor. Clara is also not a full-time companion. This season (and, yes, the whole season) sees her leading a double life as a sad schoolteacher at Susan's old school, getting snaked into the occasional adventure with the Doctor, and then dropped off in time for whatever she was trying to do before she got sidetracked. So we not only get Clara's Story, we get it in a non-adventurer setting. Will the brave Clara be able to deal with forming relationships and keeping a job down if she moonlights as the Doctor's companion in the evenings?

I'm tired of Clara. I want to see an alien Companion, or, at least, a companion from the future or past instead of one directly chosen from among the show's target audience. A Companion, no matter how you play with them, is a one-note character. Distracting the show by trying to build this world around the Companion is...well, crazy. Especially when you have a strong Doctor and a deliciously pre-fabricated mission.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #152 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
I haven't watched since Deep Breath, though there's a handful of episodes I intend to get into me.

Missy is my new girlfriend, yes?

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
The Caretaker was a pretty awesome episode. It felt like a weird update of a classic Who episode.

Also, we got a little taste of Missy...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
The Beeb is aggressively pitting Doctor Who against blockbuster X Factor...and winning. Though the late night showing (now closer to 9pm) has many people wondering if what we're really seeing is a shift to "adult" Doctor Who. Which...I think is good, but the fans seem torn.

Meanwhile, in the "why is this Clara's story" complaint department, the episode airing next week -- Flatline -- is a virtually Doctor-less episode! Jesus... If Moffatt wants to remake Buffy, he can go do that on his own time.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
The "minisode" aired to announce the re-opening of the Doctor Who Experience exhibition is interesting, given the lack of lip service paid to this season's supposed "mission" to find Gallifrey:

That's the voice of Romana II... And seemingly a reminder that the 12th Doctor has a larger purpose than wandering around criticizing Clara.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
I love when they parade the geek stuff around...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »
Kill the Moon -- More classic Who stuff. Like a Tom Baker episode... If, that is, Tom Baker just fucked off and left Sarah Jane to do everything, which Capaldi does with Clara. Twice!

We had a great "break up" moment where it would have been nice to write Clara out, but that's not happening.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Oh, but not to get distracted by Clara... The ongoing deconstruction of the Doctor as a hero is fascinating. We get the most damning condemnation of him from Clara in Kill the Moon.

And Capaldi... Just so amazing, even if lightly used. Such amazing elements at every turn. The fierceness, the weakness...and a great scene where Mankind's history, slightly rewritten, appears to wash over him like a wave.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2014, 12:55:24 PM »
Mummy on the Orient Express. A largely Clara-less episode! She spent most of the episode trapped and (literally) phoning it in... Which is great because, finally, we got Capaldi front and center...and he was great.

Another theme starts to be exposed here -- yet again, the Doctor is battling a lost, malfunctioning soldier... Just like in the Caretaker, Deep Breath (to a degree), and Robot of Sherwood. With Kill the Moon and Listen dealing heavily with the soldier aspect, the Doctor as ex-soldier rejecting soldiers is an interesting part of the deconstruction of the character.

We are just about to tip into finale country. Two more regular episodes to go... So whatever they're trying to tell us, they'd better get on with it. Likewise, if Gallifrey is going to play a part this season, they need to give us a few more obvious nods. They seem happier to leave us with questions -- such as with this episode. Who was the mastermind Gus? How did it know who and what the Doctor was? The characters themselves don't even seem willing to question this once the dust has settled.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
The finale will be Missy and the Cybermen, yes?

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
Yes. The whole gang is together. It'll be all the UNIT folks from the 50th.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2014, 01:06:23 PM »
*swoon*

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
Another Clara-heavy episode (for the Doctor, who is stuck inside the TARDIS for most of the episode, it's almost a bottle episode...like he filmed everything separate from the rest of the cast), Flatline did have some saving graces... The monsters were damned scary, so the show continues to seek its horror roots from the early Tom Baker years. We also got a little bit more Missy.

Once again, Clara is Something Special... Though this time for Missy. (I'm now guessing that she's a future incarnation of the Doctor.)

But we really are getting to the point where Clara is either regenerating or simply doesn't exist. She's died three times, she's now been involved in and had extraordinary influence on the Doctor's timeline from when he was a boy to the present, and now Missy is obsessed with her. So Clara's basically the most important person in the universe and across all of time at this point. 

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Still no idea who Missy is?