Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 28069 times)

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Season 34: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2014, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
So, disappointing tits....
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
So, disappointing tits....

JLC looks a bit too sculpted for my taste, actually. She's cute and all -- which is her only job, so she better be -- but, yes, as a super sex symbol? Not really. Hell, talk about the Baker era! I'm a Leela man... And darling little Sarah Jane. And the double shot of Romanas...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »
Actually -- you know when JLC lost her sexiness? When I saw her in the same scene with Amy Pond. That's when it hit me that I miss staring at Karen Gillian run down a corridor in a micro-skirt

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
My love for the Gomez has blinded me to all other Who girls.

I would argue that "Deep Breath" functioned as a far better entry point than any other Who I've seen. Sure, I'm still a little hazy on exactly what's up with snake lady, Jenny from the block, and Strax, but I understand they're allies of the Doctor and his companion. And since JLC doesn't carry the emotional weight for me from the Matt Smith era, I'm not concerned with that emotional baggage. I can pick up from here and enjoy it... which I did thoroughly.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
The Paternoster Gang is one of Moffatt's endless attempts to create a spin-off show. They were introduced, entirely without preamble, in a webisode prior to the 2012 Christmas episode that nobody watched (including me) and appeared several times, without explanation or call back to that webisode, in last season's episodes. Most fans are totally confused by their presence and what they're about.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
Actually -- you know when JLC lost her sexiness? When I saw her in the same scene with Amy Pond. That's when it hit me that I miss staring at Karen Gillian run down a corridor in a micro-skirt

She lost it when I saw her topless.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
The Paternoster Gang is one of Moffatt's endless attempts to create a spin-off show. They were introduced, entirely without preamble, in a webisode prior to the 2012 Christmas episode that nobody watched (including me) and appeared several times, without explanation or call back to that webisode, in last season's episodes. Most fans are totally confused by their presence and what they're about.

Oh.... well then the Deep Breath is the perfect entry point then because the Paternoster Gang was the only confusing part about it.

EDIT:
Missus RC is turned off by the concept of an older Doctor. I'm thinking about killing her.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:52:57 AM by RottingCorpse »

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2014, 08:29:06 AM »

EDIT:
Missus RC is turned off by the concept of an older Doctor. I'm thinking about killing her.

She typifies NuWho fandom, then...and there is a backlash. It's insane, because the Doctor has always been old...and when he isn't, he's *supposed* to be playing an "old man in a young man's body." I think Matt Smith, in the long run, will prove to have killed the show.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »
The ratings are fascinating, really. Deep Breath performed best in the US -- because most of the US fans that didn't come in with Tennant are the old Tom Baker-saturation era stalwarts. It did not perform well at home, though... And I have to wonder how much Doctor Who is being written for American audiences these days. Certainly half the jokes were geared for "anglophiles who remember Tom Baker," and, despite letting Capaldi keep his accent, they did not let Gomez keep hers (I loved the in-character lampshade that she hangs on that, too).

The jolly rogers and the press all agree that tomorrow's episode is back in stride and will knock our socks off...

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2014, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm an old Baker stalwart, then?

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
Monkey, you're the perfect example of why Deep Breath and Capaldi are great! The last time you saw Who, it was Baker's Doctor, yes?

Go back and watch, say, Cold War from last season and you'll see what New Who has become...and that's one of the stand-out episodes!

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
The only Doctor Who I regularly watched was that of Tom Baker.

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
Oh! Missing episode update! Even an official statement leaves about a hundred questions unanswered. The statement is: "There will be no missing episode announcements in 2014."

Phrasing it like that makes it pretty clear that there ARE missing episodes and we'll hear about them next year, yes? Which makes sense if there really is as big a cache as the rumor claims. The daunting task of figuring out what's salvageable and then restoring it is probably a living hell...

Online nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »

Oh.... well then the Deep Breath is the perfect entry point then because the Paternoster Gang was the only confusing part about it.

EDIT:

I guess I could add, for the newbie RC, that Vastra is a Silurian. They're one of the Doctor's enemies since the 3rd Doctor, though they've always been sort of neutral. Bad guys just because they were fighting for their right to survive and so on... But her character has the same history I mentioned -- that is, none.

Strax is a Sontaran, also an enemy since the 3rd Doctor, and always totally evil. His character -- catch this! -- is based off of a character from an unused script from the 5th season! LOL...

Jenny wasn't even in that webisode. She just suddenly appears as Vastra's wife. Yawn.