Author Topic: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread  (Read 27458 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: Seasons 34-36: The Capaldi Years
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:36 AM »
"Smile" was interesting. It felt like a classic series episode in that nothing happened for the first couple acts. Except, in this case, that was done so we could explore the relationship between the Doctor and Bill. And poorly done, too, because then the final act was a messy race to tie everything up.

Exploring a relationship between the Doctor and a Companion is also a mistake. We're supposed to be thrilled that Bill asks questions "that the audience always wanted to ask" like how much does the TARDIS cost. Ummmm... A sentient machine made by a race of gods? On a show that's been in the public conscious for 54 years? That's actually not the question the audience is asking.

But, oh well.

Rumor is that Pearl Mackie got herself fired because she was a nightmare on set, thus her one season. She's not even carrying over to the Christmas special. So that also makes everything seem a little hollow.

Overall, though, Capaldi is the sort who can carry any story on gravitas alone. So I was fine with "Smile." And also reminded how fucking awful NuWho is and how we're probably doomed because the next Doctor will either be a publicity stunt or a dud.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #331 on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:11 AM »
Okay...so people are raving about this season, but it's really a hot mess. The show is, again, obsessed with the companion, with Bill-heavy episodes and the Doctor bizarrely distracted by her well-being while not caring about or even outright sacrificing everyone else to keep her safe (implying, once again, that the companion is a Special Mystery Girl).

This is even more hollow knowing that Mackie leaves this season and there was bad blood on set. 

The episodes are lame. Either safe-zone stuff like the Doctor and his Scooby Gang vs. a haunted house, or what critics are lauding as "Classic Who" style -- fighting zombies on a space station. In the latter case, though, the episode was an overcrowded, disjointed mess that failed on almost every level.

The "fun factor" of Classic Who is missing. But the fact that NuWho has no soul is an old complaint at this point.

I feel like the departure of Moffatt may be the last hope for this show. Will season 37 be new blood? Or have the Moff's problems actually been BBC's problems? As in, they're the ones forcing the path of NuWho in the interest of marketing?

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #332 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
Rick and Morty is what you want NuWho to be.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #333 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
Rick and Morty is what you want NuWho to be.

All I ask is that they fucking lay off the fucking "Special Girl" Companion angle. Why can't the Companion just be some ordinary person who gets swept up in an adventure? That's a trope that's as old as the written word...for a reason! Because we all want to be swept up into an adventure!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #334 on: May 19, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
With Missy leaving, rumors that Susan is in the Vault, and hints (in the latest episode) that Nardol is a Time Lord, I feel like we're screaming into some sort of bizarre show-killing full-on reboot.

I'm hoping we have a blow-out here and then the show takes a break for a bit. I know we have to stomach the Christmas Special, but... I don't know. I just want Classic Who back, I guess. Just give me an adventure in space and time!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #335 on: May 21, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Okay, so Missy's in the vault. And, like in the 90s TV movie, the Doctor is once again the guardian of the Master's essence after an execution (which he botched on purpose).
 snorebot!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
So I love the fan theory that John Simm is actually the 13th Doctor. Instead of a multi-Master episode, we're getting Capaldi regenerating into Simm.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
So, the show has been officially renewed... Um... Through 2022. So that's interesting.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »
Whew... Lackluster and lazy best describes this season. Mackie -- the companion to change all companions -- is not only exactly the same as her NuWho predecessors, she even gets the exact same storylines. Capaldi is so underused it almost seems like it's being done to spite us. The storylines are convoluted and idiotic. We even get a complete regeneration tease followed by Capaldi essentially saying "Psyche!" and laughing about it.

Missy is a shining light in all this mediocrity, but she's literally trapped in a cage and crying about how bad a person she's been for...the last 1000 years.

We're almost done this sad sack of a season, then we should start getting news about the 13th Doctor. 

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #339 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
So the 13th Doctor has been cast. It's still up in the air if Capaldi is staying through the end of the season. They've been ham-fistedly staging fake out regenerations just because the show is run by fucking assholes, so who knows. Only a couple episodes left, though.

The cryptic promise that "this will be a different sort of regeneration" is also muddying the waters (fair bet that they'll do a Watcher thing, like they did for the 4th Doctor).

Though the last episode did end with Missy at the helm of the TARDIS and the "crack" open once again, so maybe the Time Lords will get to kill the Doctor again.

Blah.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #340 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
The fake regeneration thing is really a dick move unless it has some kind of narrative implications.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #341 on: June 13, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
The fake regeneration thing is really a dick move unless it has some kind of narrative implications.

They literally laughed about it on camera. The narrative was that he was testing Bill's loyalty. This test culminated in her shooting him with blanks. He collapses and does the below fake out, then they all have a hearty laugh about it and move on to destroy the baddies. Bill is unfazed by the whole thing, except her initial horror at shooting him. In fact, she blames the other companion for misleading her in a comic scene tied to the several minutes of laughing about the stunt.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
So I guess I have to talk about the finale and the end of the Capaldi era. The 90 minute finale saw a mass-kill (except for fucking Nardol). Both versions of the Master dead, the Doctor dying, Bill dead (though, like Clara, she gets a magical out).

Capaldi's stalled regeneration was pretty awesome, and the big reveal at the end (David Bradley reprising his role as the First Doctor -- himself on the verge of a regeneration after the events of The Tenth Planet) was all pretty awesome. So hopefully the Christmas episode will be the two Doctors passing the torch to the 13th Doctor and we can go ahead and reboot into a better era of NuWho.

I really hated that they pulled their Cybermen punch. After introducing the wonderfully creepy OG Cybermen, they quickly reverted to the modern NuWho Cybermen and hand-waved the explanation. Sad.

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
Funny, I spent some time yesterday watching Who videos and reviewing the 50th anniversary thread.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Doctor Who: NuWho Thread
« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
Made this the general NuWho thread!

Number 13 will be announced at the end of the Wimbledon men's final tomorrow! Set Internet to MELT.

Top bets (who have all fervently denied their involvement) are Fleabag's Phoebe Waller-Bridge, stupid fucking Kris Marshall which would be the worst thing ever and probably who it is, David Harewood from Homeland, Natalie Dormer taking on her first non-nude role, and Tilda Swinton.

New showrunner Chris Chibnall, who brought us the weak and boring Broadchurch, has allegedly been given carte blanche to hard reboot the show and move it away from the apron strings of NuWho. Most fans are certain 13 will be a woman and we won't see the regeneration (the Christmas Special has finished filming and there is, supposedly, no regeneration sequence, but that could be lies).