Author Topic: Freddie Mercury Biopic  (Read 1516 times)

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
Freddie Mercury Biopic
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
We're all super gay for Queen here, yes? I became a huge fan of the band about two years before Mercury died and was absolutely crushed when it happened. In the space of a month, Mercury died, I lost my virginity, and heard Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time, three events of about equal importance in my life.

Anyway, Sacha Baron Cohen has long been tapped to play Mercury in a bio-pic, but it looks like he's out and Harry Potter is in. I'm strangely okay with this, though would have loved to see Cohen's "grittier" take on the subject matter.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/22/daniel-radcliffe-to-replace-sacha-baron-cohen-in-freddie-mercury-biopic-4073714/

Daniel Radcliffe to replace Sacha Baron Cohen in Freddie Mercury biopic?

Daniel Radcliffe is reportedly being lined up to play Freddie Mercury in an upcoming biopic.

The Harry Potter star could be replacing Sacha Baron Cohen, who pulled out of the film earlier this year over creative differences.

A source told the Daily Star: ‘Despite his youth, Daniel impressed movie bosses with his portrayal of gay poet Allen Ginsburg in this year’s movie Kill Your Darlings.

‘Plus, he’s closer in height to Freddie than Sacha, who’s much taller. Daniel can really sing, too.’

Radcliffe is 5ft 5 while Baron Cohen stands at 6ft 3 tall.

Baron Cohen reportedly wanted the movie to be a grittier look at Mercury’s life while the band’s guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor wanted the biopic to appeal to a mass audience.

Peter Morgan, who wrote The Queen and Frost/Nixon, is attached to pen the script although no director has been hired as yet.

Les Miserables’ Tom Hooper has been tipped as a possible candidate for the role.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:23:58 AM by RottingCorpse »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Freddie Mercury Biopic
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
Very much looking forward to this...

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Radcliffe is a better serious actor.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
Radcliffe is a better serious actor.

Indeed! Cohen could look the part, but could he play it? I don't know...

I just hope they can capture that weird magnetism that Mercury had...

I still love that Live Aid set from 1985... The bands before and after were so tepid... When Queen took the stage, they controlled that place for 25 amazing minutes.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »
I didn't see Radcliffe's Hammer movie, Harry Potter and the Black Ghost or whatever it was called. Nacho, I seem to remember you having mixed feelings on it. I think the kid actually has chops though. Panning himself with Gervais in some ways is enough for me to trust him as an actor.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
I didn't see Radcliffe's Hammer movie, Harry Potter and the Black Ghost or whatever it was called. Nacho, I seem to remember you having mixed feelings on it. I think the kid actually has chops though. Panning himself with Gervais in some ways is enough for me to trust him as an actor.

That fucking movie sucked. Since then, though, we've gotten the Ginsberg biopic, and his strange and interesting turn in A Young Doctor's Notebook. He even managed to eek out a halfway decent rom-com.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
I think Radcliffe has the potential to carve out a promising career.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
I agree.

Being able to recreate Mercury's stage craft and moves is really the x-factor here. To me, that'll make or break the film. Am I the only one who saw Runaways, the Joan Jett film with Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning? That film totally worked because the actors really studied how the people they were playing performed.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
Radcliffe had better hurry up getting AIDs.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 12:50:27 PM »
Radcliffe had better hurry up getting AIDs.

Ron Weasley got him there already.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
I think Radcliffe has the potential to carve out a promising career.

For some reason, this made me think of Emma Watson in "This is The End."

"Which one of us is going to rape Hermione?"

"What the fuck are you guys talking about? Nobody's doing any raping!"

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
Let's RAPE!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »
Harry Potter is out apparently and, uh, this guy is in.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/dexter-fletcher-freddie-mercury-queenth/

GK Films Taps Dexter Fletcher To Helm Queen Rock Pic With Ben Whishaw As Freddie Mercury

EXCLUSIVE: Hot off directing the musical Sunshine On Leith, British actor-turned-helmer Dexter Fletcher has closed a deal to helm the movie on rock supergroup Queen, with  frontman Freddie Mercury to be played Ben Whishaw. GK Films’ Graham King is producing, and Sony Pictures has first crack at the film. This has been a passion project for King for several years, and it started with Sacha Baron Cohen attached to play Mercury, the singular-voiced frontman. Fletcher, who’s repped by WME and Independent, made his directorial debut with the BAFTA-nominated Wild Bill before directing Sunshine On Leith, a musical based on the Proclaimers songbook. Before that, Fletcher became a familiar face acting in films that include Guy Ritchie’s Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels. Whishaw has been rumored to be getting the Mercury role for some time.

I’m told that Fletcher has been meeting the band and getting a feel for the Queen story, and that the intention is for the movie to get up and running next year regardless of whether Sony steps up. With the band’s songs part of the package, the pic will tell the formative coming-of-age story of the group, culminating in Queen headlining Live Aid in 1985. Queen’s performance is considered one of rock’s all-time great concert appearances. Mercury died November 24, 1991, of complications from AIDS, and while his death helped to remove the stigma of AIDS sufferers prevalent at that time and particularly in the rock music industry, Mercury’s last days won’t be the subject of the film. Script is by Peter Morgan and King’s producing with Tim Headington and Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal’s Tribeca Productions, and Queen Films. Among the tunes that are in the rights package are “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions,” “Another One Bites The Dust” and “You’re My Best Friend.”

Whishaw, who got his breakthrough in the adaptation of the serial killer novel Perfume, is playing Herman Melville in the Ron Howard-directed The Heart Of The Sea, the Warner Bros film that stars Chris Hemsworth about the actual whale attack that spawned Melville’s Moby Dick. He starred in Cloud Atlas and played Q in the 007 film Skyfall and will reprise that role in the next installment. He’s repped by CAA and Hamilton Hodell.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
This is going to be a disaster.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 06:44:59 PM »
Man, are they gonna whitewash the hell out of this story or what?