Author Topic: Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones)  (Read 34683 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones)
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
Well, first we get Goodkind, now we get MArtin...

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2008/11/hbo_orders_pilot_of_george_rr_martins_song_of_fire.php

To the folks who voted for a movie of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series in this week's Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books Which Desperately Need to be Movies Daily List...good fucking call. Because HBO is ordering a pilot based on the fantasy novels, to be titled A Game of Thrones after the first novel.

The idea of HBO using its considerable resources and talents on a full fantasy series (chock full of dragons and magic and shit) kind of blows my mind; I haven't read Fire and Ice, but I'd sure as hell check out any HBO show of it. Now, admittedly, this is only a pilot, and no guarantee it's going to get picked up. But the Hollywood Reporter has some interesting thoughts and info:

Also, the success of "True Blood" may work in "Thrones' " favor. HBO has always sought to defy any sort of specific genre branding for its network, emphasizing that each project is judged on its own merits. Yet given how the vampire drama continues to gain viewers and how Showtime's swords-and-monarchy historical drama "The Tudors" has performed, it's not unreasonable to believe the network may see "Thrones" as a good fit.
    The cost of producing a fantasy series is usually a factor that deters networks. The producers note that "Thrones" is written as a character drama and major battles often take place offstage. "It's not a story with a million orcs charging across the plains," Weiss said. "The most expensive effects are creature effects, and there's not much of that."

Martin plans seven books. If HBO picks up the project to series, the producers intend for each novel to encompass a season.

Like, if everyone who suggested their favorite sci-fi/fantasy book/series earlier this week had their wish, wouldn't we all want an HBO series? It'll have plenty of episodes to do the stories justice, since it's pay cable there likely won't be any dumbing down of the source material, and HBO usually hires pretty talented people for their shows. If HBO meddles in anyway, it'll probably be to add some sex and nudity to the series, assuming Fire and Ice doesn't have any already. And I imagine the people who will be irked by that are firmly in the minority.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:35:14 PM by nacho »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Ice & Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:13:36 PM »
The pilot script has been leaked...

http://termopilas.tales-tra.com/users/parsec/Pilot_script.pdf

and if that site goes down, I have it saved.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
A Game of Thrones: HBO Pilot to Begin Filming in October
from Tor by Douglas Cohen

George R. R. Martinís legions of fans should be happy to know that the pilot episode to A Game of Thrones, a television series based on book one in his epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, is set to begin filming this October for HBO.  You can rest assured that this isnít some nasty rumor:  George has announced it himself over on his blog.  Filming will take place in Northern Ireland.  He also provides links to the original article that broke the news and where filming will take place.  Of course this is just the pilot episode, so cross your fingers that it comes out well so the brass at HBO are happy enough to make this a full-fledged series, thus allowing us to geek out to thirteen episodes a year for seven years (the plan being one season devoted to each book in the series).  Like all of Georgeís fans Iím anxious for a release date to A Dance with Dragons, the next book in his series, but this is one hell of an appetizer.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
Sexy...

Sean Bean famously played Boromir in The Lord of the Rings, so it seems natural for him to have been cast in the lead role of Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark in HBO's upcoming adaptation of A Game of Thrones, the first book in George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series of fantasy novels

Poppy Propercock

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Ohhhhhhh that's hot.  And, like Boromir, he's gonna kick it early.

They better not fuck up the dragons.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
They don't really have to worry too much about the dragons in the first one, do they?  Didn't they just hatch towards the end?

I remember the first one being more War of the Roses and less fantasy.  But it has been a while... I quit when the third one came out and Martin started whining about how hard it was to write.

Poppy Propercock

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
Yeah, true.  But that's just the first season.  More dragons later.

Maybe this will force Martin to finish, already!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
He is such a little bitch.  Probably the publisher's fault, trying to strong arm a Wheel of Time out of him.  Forcing him to split Dance With Dragons out of Feast for Crows is a sign that they want more titles in the franchise, as opposed to the originally planned five.  Now we're at seven...and I bet you even money he'll announce that it's been extended to nine books as we get close to the sixth one.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
This is a go...

The first season is scheduled to premiere in the States next spring. HBO has initially ordered nine episodes plus the pilot. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

The show will star the legend that is Sean Bean as Eddard, and co-stars Peter Dinklage, Mark Addy, Harry Lloyd , Jack Gleeson, Jennifer Ehle, Lena Headey and Kit Harrington.

Lena Headey!  Yummy.  Maybe they'll let her talk in her normal accent, because that's double yummy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »
Goobersnot Martin posted a production still:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/137285.html

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog