Author Topic: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!  (Read 56669 times)

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
Re: Suffering Through TNG: It's time for your oral exam, Wesley!
« Reply #465 on: April 23, 2015, 04:38:24 PM »
I didn't know where else to put this but....WTF?

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
Yeah, Tuvok Kickstarted this in 2013. It's actually acting (along with a previous Tim Russ Star Trek movie) as a backdoor pilot for CBS. More or less proof of concept.

It's set post-Voyager, and there are weird rights rules with Star Trek movies vs.  Star Trek TV (which is why a TV show from the Abramsverse is not likely).

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #468 on: June 22, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
io9 has highlights from a fascinating Oral History of Best of Both Worlds (which really does hold up). The full history is here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-story-daring-cliffhanger-803642

The Hollywood Reporter has a great oral history post from the writers and actors behind the Star Trek: Next Generation’s epic cliffhanger episode ‘Best of Both Worlds’. Here’s a couple of things we learned about the episode, and how it changed Star Trek forever:

It was the first time that a cliffhanger had been done in Star Trek.

Piller said as the season went on that he thought there should be a cliffhanger, which Star Trek had never done.
For me, my show growing up was Stargate SG-1, which frequently ended on a cliffhanger between seasons, and even earlier shows, such as Babylon 5, used that trick between seasons, which kept everyone on edge until the show returned. This was a shock to audiences, who had been accustomed to having everything safely wrapped up beforehand.

The cliffhanger made everyone realize that The Next Generation was a serious show.

Moore: What people forget now is in the first couple of seasons of Next Generation, we were sort of not taken seriously as Star Trek. The fans were split on the acceptance of the show.
The show is a powerhouse now, but early on, it had a harder time taking off, and an even harder time winning over fans. This cliffhanger helped to demonstrate that the writers were willing to do some risky things with its characters.

The episode had a huge impact on Jonathan Frakes when he directed his own Star Trek movie, First Contact.

Frakes: The cool thing about the story was that he was forever haunted by Locutus being in his DNA. That informed the first movie that I directed, First Contact.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #469 on: July 02, 2015, 12:40:21 PM »
Shatner is releasing his controversial documentary on the rise of TNG online for a pretty penny ($13 to download, $8 to watch). But, of course, putting it on Vimeo means he just gave it to the entire world for free...

http://trekmovie.com/2015/07/01/tng-documentary-chaos-on-the-bridge-debuts-online/

He's been getting alot of flak for this, mainly because he's cast Roddenberry in a bad light. But, then... Roddenberry was pretty bonkers at this point in his career, and the madness of the first three seasons of TNG -- plagued by not-at-all-secret infighting between Roddenberry and the studio and a writers strike -- has been pretty well documented. But here Shatner gets everyone to open up a bit more.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #470 on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
Final Mission.

Yay!  It's Wesley's last episode!  And it's a good episode.  Wesley, Picard, and some dork are trapped on a desert planet after their shuttle crashes.  I've always enjoyed this episode, and it still holds up.  Having Wesley leave the cast is just icing.

Weird that the most hated character leaves on a high note.  (He does come back for some guest spots in later seasons, all terrible episodes.) 

Rewatched this episode over the weekend... I don't think it holds up now. Still a good episode, but they march through the desert without blemish or seemingly desperate need for water for a day. I also noticed, on this 100th viewing, that they head away from the direction Picard's SOS arrow is pointing.

And how's the mining captain dork have NO water? How are these ships getting water? I would presume the only way is to recycle it, in which case there should be water they can drain from the system. Even if they have to boil it or whatever.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #471 on: December 04, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »
This is somewhere already posted deep in this thread...but, for some reason, this video has been on my mind all damn day!

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:36 PM »

Offline RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #473 on: October 20, 2016, 12:20:13 PM »

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #474 on: October 20, 2016, 05:33:36 PM »
Oh my god.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:33 PM »
As Discovery flounders, I thought this was a nice article -- revisiting Nemesis 15 years later and discussing how it's really killed (and continues to do so) the entire franchise.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-look-back-at-star-trek-nemesis-the-film-that-killed-1791577962

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
I went on this crazy Voyager binge while I was sick and now can't get off it. Mainly because Jeri Ryan looks really good in HD.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #477 on: September 13, 2017, 08:41:25 AM »
http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-list-of-the-most-re-watched-star-trek-episodes-is-1803780922

So...this isn't baffling. It's Borg-centric and Jeri Ryan obsessed.

Io9 even mentions the Borg effect in the article. Meanwhile, Jeri Ryan's impact on Voyager as Seven of Nine has been well documented and discussed since she was introduced on the show. Her whole point was to save the show and get people watching (and re-watching) and, now, 761 years later, it's still true!

Some of these (Q Who? and Best of Both Worlds) are bog standard gateway episodes for TNG.

Offline Sirharles

• Old Timer
  • Nacho Ruined My Life
« Reply #478 on: September 20, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
I just watched the Discovery trailer again...and I still don't know what this is about?  When is this supposed to take place?  WHAT'S GOING ON??

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #479 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »
I just watched the Discovery trailer again...and I still don't know what this is about?  When is this supposed to take place?  WHAT'S GOING ON??

Yeah, it's a mess. It's not even on my radar.

They've said it's 2255, which is exactly ten years before the first aired episode of TOS. (And, according to retconning in TOS and TAS, five years before The Cage).

In 2255, Kirk was an ensign on the Republic in the main timeline, and, in the Kelvin timeline, the bar fight in the 2009 movie took place.