Author Topic: What You're Reading  (Read 150286 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: What You're Reading
« Reply #1185 on: October 13, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
Moving quickly through

Annihilation

The Southern Reach trilogy about an expedition in a strange post-apocalyptic wilderness. It's very Stalker. Good so far, though I can see how it's a love it or hate it series.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1186 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Time for cheap ancient Roman detective fiction!

The Accusers

The 15th Falco book.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1187 on: November 02, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
Reading the fucking amazing Provenance by Ann Leckie, author of the Ancillary Trilogy.

She is, easily, the heir to Iain Banks. This is a standalone set in the same universe as her trilogy. I hope she keeps doing this...and getting further and further away from the trilogy.

What made The Culture great was that Banks never connected the stories (except, occasionally, with a brief mention). The Culture was so vast that the books were set all across the universe, and occasionally thousands of years apart. The characters and events in the previous book didn't matter because you'd be joining new people a million lightyears away, and maybe 500 years in the past or future, on their own adventure.

Leckie has to fight her trilogy. This book is haunted by the events of the trilogy's finale. It's done correctly -- of course the galaxy-shattering events of the trilogy's finale would be in the news and social media -- but it's a tie that binds. After this, I want Leckie to do what Banks did. Stay in the universe but go backwards, or forwards, or so far away it doesn't matter what's happening on the news.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1188 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
Moving on to the final act in this trilogy:

Eagle and Empire

Smale's alt-history trilogy has been pretty awesome so far. 11th Century imperial Romans conquering North America before the hordes of Genghis Khan can do so.

Over a thousand pages of this saga so far and the conflicted life of an aging refugee general (who is our main character) is starting to wear a touch thin. Though we're in finale country now with a crowded stage, so that should save the series.

It's very well researched and enjoyable, overall.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1189 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
The Clash of Eagles trilogy books are among my favorite books of 2017. Hands down.

Moving on now to a novella in the Expanse universe. A quick read:

Strange Dogs

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1190 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
Started and...gave up on the conclusion to the EMP post-apocalypse trilogy.

The Final Day

The trilogy was bad to begin with, but EMP apocalypse is fun -- no power, everyone's in the dark, cannibal marauders. The usual. Book one was a short, fast read.

The author is a right wing survivalist nutjob. He credits himself for "starting the prepper movement," and some of thi began to soak into the second book which, nonetheless, was about 40% all out war with government troops. So that was fun.

The final book, though, is a nearly 600 page, small-print, maudlin tome that's pure fan service to the preppers. Terrible.

So, quit after 100 agonizing pages.

I am moving on to Book 7 in the Expanse series:

http://Persepolis Rising

The Expanse is my all time favorite sci-fi series so far. Book 7 marks the beginning of the end, though. The books are actually loosely organized into "trilogies," with book 6 ending the most recent arc with a bang. So book 7 begins the "final trilogy" and, jarringly, it makes a 30 year leap into the future. Something I wasn't prepared for, so it's been a rough start. That also means that it's almost stepping in as prologue to this new universe, three decades after the events we've been following for the last six books.

That feels both awkward and...interesting. It's like The Last Jedi of the Expanse series. All the old shit is out the window and it's a brave, new world for humanity. Looking back at the catastrophic events of book six, I realize that there was no way to stay in the present day with our heroes. A 30 year jump is the only thing that makes sense. So...we'll see how I feel as I roll through it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:24:42 PM by RottingCorpse »

Online RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #1191 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
Finally finished Chuck Klosterman's "But What If We're Wrong" which should be required reading for every graduating high school senior.

Moving on from one Nacho gifted book to the next one, We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1192 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:21 AM »
Two reads going on now. Because of my work woes, I decided to start in on The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

This is a short, fast read. It's getting lots of press, but all it really tells you is that life sucks and then you die, shut up and accept that fact. Also, if you hate something, then change it. We could probably put the same advice together, with wittier prose, if we consolidate everyone's replies to me in my various "I hate my life/job" threads here on GS.

The other book is a popcorn beach read. Also getting rave reviews, I find it somewhat pedestrian: IQ. A black Sherlock Holmes from the hood. All hip-hop and hipster cool. A little too much so...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1193 on: January 22, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »
Moving on to a history of time travel!

Time Travel

Online RottingCorpse

• Old Timer
  • You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #1194 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
Coates “we Were Eight Years in Power” is great but as a collection of essays is easy to dip in and out of.

I moved on to ‘Only Yesterday,’ an informal history of the U.S. in the 1920s written in 1931. Reading a contemporary history of the 20s uniformed by WWII is fascinating. There’s this immediacy to it and a recognition of just how quickly culture and technology evolved in that decade. It also puts importance on people and events that are now all but lost to history.

https://www.amazon.com/Only-Yesterday-Informal-History-1920s/dp/0060956658

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1195 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
Halfway through the third book in the Keiko series:

Dark Deeds

This series has always been bubblegum reading, but now it's just twee. The author is a bit too obsessed with how clever he is. Sad...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1196 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Reading The Salt Line, A post-apocalypse, killer ticks story. It was great for the first 100 pages but then it moves into slog country... Considering quitting the book even!  A shame...

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1197 on: March 13, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
Frozen in Time - A fast, gripping book about the author's attempt to find a crashed rescue plane on the Greenland ice cap from 1942. Told from the 1942 POV and the 2012 search POV.

Offline monkey!

• Monkey
  • You're a kitty!
« Reply #1198 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:21 AM »
I’m reading through Clarkson’s collections of his Sunday Times columns.
There will come a day for every man when he will relish the prospect of eating his own shit. That day has yet to come for me.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1199 on: March 30, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
Read and finished Ray's latest:

A must for Ray Robertson fans.

Now -- history! Dan Jones does:

The Templars