Author Topic: What You're Reading  (Read 139089 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: What You're Reading
« Reply #1185 on: October 13, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
Moving quickly through

Annihilation

The Southern Reach trilogy about an expedition in a strange post-apocalyptic wilderness. It's very Stalker. Good so far, though I can see how it's a love it or hate it series.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1186 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Time for cheap ancient Roman detective fiction!

The Accusers

The 15th Falco book.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1187 on: November 02, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
Reading the fucking amazing Provenance by Ann Leckie, author of the Ancillary Trilogy.

She is, easily, the heir to Iain Banks. This is a standalone set in the same universe as her trilogy. I hope she keeps doing this...and getting further and further away from the trilogy.

What made The Culture great was that Banks never connected the stories (except, occasionally, with a brief mention). The Culture was so vast that the books were set all across the universe, and occasionally thousands of years apart. The characters and events in the previous book didn't matter because you'd be joining new people a million lightyears away, and maybe 500 years in the past or future, on their own adventure.

Leckie has to fight her trilogy. This book is haunted by the events of the trilogy's finale. It's done correctly -- of course the galaxy-shattering events of the trilogy's finale would be in the news and social media -- but it's a tie that binds. After this, I want Leckie to do what Banks did. Stay in the universe but go backwards, or forwards, or so far away it doesn't matter what's happening on the news.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1188 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
Moving on to the final act in this trilogy:

Eagle and Empire

Smale's alt-history trilogy has been pretty awesome so far. 11th Century imperial Romans conquering North America before the hordes of Genghis Khan can do so.

Over a thousand pages of this saga so far and the conflicted life of an aging refugee general (who is our main character) is starting to wear a touch thin. Though we're in finale country now with a crowded stage, so that should save the series.

It's very well researched and enjoyable, overall.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #1189 on: Yesterday at 09:40:24 AM »
The Clash of Eagles trilogy books are among my favorite books of 2017. Hands down.

Moving on now to a novella in the Expanse universe. A quick read:

Strange Dogs