Author Topic: Superhero Movies  (Read 58407 times)

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
Re: Superhero Movies
« Reply #540 on: June 11, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
Plus, even the mobs of nerds are so exhausted by the white, male message of the movies that they're glad to see anything different, even if it's blue robot aliens.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #541 on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »
So... Wonder Woman

Cons:

Terrible CGI
As Sirharles said, distracting and terrible editing (even stuff like she loses a weapon/shield in one scene but then has it when she throws the next punch)
Terrible writing
Confusing to have non-Nazi Germans as the bad guys when you clearly wanted Nazis and wrote it that way
Stupid twist

Pros:

Gal Gadot is stupefyingly beautiful and I couldn't take my eyes off of her whether she was flying through the air or trying on glasses.

Final verdict: The pros have it! 5/5!  *rewinds. freezes screen*

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
  • We got this by the ass!
    • http://www.lonniemartin.com
« Reply #542 on: July 03, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
I need to see it again without Star Wars glasses, I guess.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #543 on: July 03, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »
I need to see it again without Star Wars glasses, I guess.

You mean...you were unable to tell whether or not Gal Gadot was beautiful because you were thinking of Star Wars the whole time?

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #544 on: July 03, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
No!

What I mean is the way my love and excitement for Star Wars blinded me to how middle-of-the-road The Force Awakens was. I felt similarly watching WW.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #545 on: July 03, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
No!

What I mean is the way my love and excitement for Star Wars blinded me to how middle-of-the-road The Force Awakens was. I felt similarly watching WW.

It's a terrible movie.

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #546 on: July 03, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
You're a terrible movie!

*SOB*

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #547 on: July 23, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
Thor: Ragnarok looks like a winner from top to bottom. Now the only question is whether it can deliver he awesomeness the trailers promise.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
It can't.

Offline nacho

• Hallowed are the Ori.
  • Walter The Farting Dog
  • You're a kitty!
    • GS
« Reply #549 on: August 11, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »
I like how only three people use these forums and we still can't keep track of the threads. Didn't we have a Guardians thread?

Anyway... Guardians 2 was an amazing movie. Easily one of the top 5 sequels I've seen. They kept the charm and simplicity of the original, which is surprising for a Marvel movie. They also kept the right tone for the ensemble. That last part is what surprised me the most because they essentially added two people to the ensemble AND split them up for a portion of the movie. The strain did start to show through my rose-tinted glasses. Drax probably suffered the most. But the genius of the writing came through and saved everyone -- we got a glimpse at the deeper side of Drax thanks to the empath. So the new arrivals helped support any potential collapse of the storyline.

Kurt Russel was, also surprisingly, not shoehorned in and/or chewing the scenery. He made it work. We hit all the potential shark jumping moments -- dealing with family background, answering unanswered questions from the first movie, and confirming the relationship between Peter and Gomorrah -- and the movie just ran with it. It all made sense.

Baby Groot's scene-stealing ability didn't even harm the storyline. It's absolutely astounding that they pulled this movie off because there are so many possible breaks in the storyline.

I was underwhelmed by Stallone. I guess that's a nod to the uber-fans, right? But that was the weakest part. Fortunatly, it looks like he just showe dup on a lazy Saturday afternoon to film his scenes. I also felt like the Sovereign was way underused. They were a major element in the story and, yet, they were the B-story. But I forgive that thanks to the post-credits sequence which made it obvious that the Sovereign storyline is actually a long set-up for part 3. Which is cool. That gives this trilogy a sense of being...a trilogy. In that natural way that only Star Trek has ever really pulled off (with Star Trek II, III, IV).

So...very happy. Give me more!

Offline RottingCorpse

• You're a kitty!
« Reply #550 on: August 11, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
I tried to go back and find my review, but apparently I never wrote one.

I loved it too. And also felt that they had every chance in the world to blow it, and restrained themselves from doing so. Everybody's back for Vol. 3 and it'll be after the big Avengers: Infinity War ka-blooie, so hopefully Marvel will allow it to not get overstuffed.